Wednesday 3 April 2013


Let us learn to try other avenues
From a British colony, to being colonised by one of our own;lol. I guess you get what I am talking about. I will not even bother myself elaborating more on that; but just a tip-I am talking about the Tinkhundla system and the man or people behind it, that is where I will end. In my journey the youth activism I think I can not be surprised if one would say Swazis aredormant people. All they know is to lament and be masters in listing and or talking about the problems their country is faced with. The reason I am saying this is because each time I am in a space where we are together with colleagues from other countries, when listening to the different journeys they went through, the battles they have fought, the victories they have won in the fight against oppressive regimes like ours and in the fight for an open society, I cannot help but think – what have we as Swazis done?

I am currently from attending the Youth Camp 2013; themed participate 2013, where we were sharing our different struggles and experiences on the different countries where we come from as young people.  We looked at how we can use elections to ensure democratic societies and also how young people can take charge and own the political spaces. While listening to the contributions and the experiences that my fellow colleagues put forth, I began thinking about the issue of Swaziland. Basically there were two things on my mind;

1.   Have we done enough in trying to challenge the unjust situation? (Refer to my previous blogs for the unjust situations)

2.   Have we gone all out to fight the challenges that we claim to be faced with

What I realised is that seemingly the Swazi people or I should say we as the youth are so great in identifying challenges and complaining about things that are not going right. Grabbling with the aforementioned thoughts/questions I could not help my self but feel belittled with the submissions I had heard other colleagues share. Have we done justice in our country to challenge the current situation, and are we all out to fight the challenges that we are faced with. For the first time the issue of boycott went popular; through the social networks and live debates were awash with boycott vs participating.  For me that on its own was great. In this regard probably one should start by acknowledging and also congratulating “team boycott” for being able to spread the word across this year such that it was the talk of the days. It was a great step and I was at some point convinced that we will be doing it for real this time around; we will all be boycotting our coming elections. But along the way, after passing the boycotting message across, everything went silent. What I mean by silent is – what are the alternatives? I have been asking myself, what happened? In real sense, what are the side programes that will complement or enhance our boycott? What impact is boycott in our case bringing to the fore? What are the alternative plans that are going in line with the boycott or we boycott then what?

Are we willing to go through the same lane again like before, where some will boycott, and no one will know or even notice that  they were boycotting, and then everything continue as normal. Remember a successful boycott must have an impact.  I am talking about a situation where two hundred thousand people or less will direct and control the majority of the country and the rest. For how long are we going to be led by a minority group that has chosen to vote, not necessarily because they believe in the system, simply because their vote have been bought or they are protecting their territory.

For how long can a million people be dragged by a hundred people into the mud? I am sure that you will agree with me that in a constituency of about 5 000 people or more, only a 100 people or less can take an individual to the parliament with our election system and come up with a legitimate government. Legitimate because the rest of the world recognises them and they make laws that eventually govern the majority. So will I be wrong to say, choosing not to participate is participating? If you do not do anything you are allowing to be led by those who choose to do something.

Before I put my last full stop on this blog, allow me to share this words liked by my colleague “insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, hoping to get different result”. Let us be aware and keep on checking if our strategies are working, if there is a need to try new strategies, let’s do that. If plan (A) doesn’t work, what do you do? Try plan (B). Let’s explore other avenues and stop being like a penis, which is only erectional instead of being proactive. Probably we can beat them in their own game.

1 comment:

  1. Great piece Nhleko. There are more questions than answers for this issue. My opinion on the Swaziland struggle would be to first define the struggle itself and see how it resonates with the people including the voting 'minority' you are talking about. Yes one and the same strategies have been tried and yielded no results for the greater majority as you correctly point out but perhaps some of the alternatives could be provided by this article. Personally I think the question whether to participate or not is out of time. At this point we need to define the struggle in order to identify the common goal which is a peoples government, better services, accountability and transparency.It is through this that we will then be able to realize that it should not matter whether people vote or boycott. Infact peoples judgments are influenced by their consciousness of the political and social situation. I would recommend more capacity building for the populace to clearly understand the underpinnings the current regimes and the realities both economically and socially of continuing with such a system of governance. The fact is that more people are poor, jobless, without proper health care and live from the crumbs of the selected few who hold power by virtue of their biological lineage and who they know. The call for democratization and multi-party governance is not the responsibility of political parties but of every person who clearly understands the benefits of such a system and such should be done before, during and after the election process. Yes more strategies must be explored to the greater goal.

    ReplyDelete